Llywelyn Bren A Southern Hero.
Llywelyn Bren A Southern Hero. I suggest that ''Hwntws'' who commemorate Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, Tywysog Gwynedd and not commemorate Llywelyn Bren Lord of Senghenydd of the Princes of Morgannwg is perhaps a matter they need to address fast. Considering I propose an annual Patriots Gathering at the gates of Caerffili Castle on 28 Ionawr, perhaps there are those who consider this more of a greater patriotic priority and purpose than ''Tartan Taff'' parading on 1 March in Caerdydd. I think that Caerffili needs a good commemorative patriotic parade and rally in honour of perhaps one of it's greatest sons and by far worthier remembering more so than Tommy Cooper whose only real connection with Caerffili is being born there but leaving as a small child to live and carve out a career in England.
Posting: 2 - 12 - 2006.
Antur Ysbryd Cofiwn gethin.apgruffydd@ntlworld.com

A Medieval Morgannwg Initiative.
All pictures below are (c) G.ap Gruffydd.

LLYWELYN BREN REVOLT 1316.
Posting: 2 - 12 - 2006.
Antur Ysbryd Cofiwn gethin.apgruffydd@ntlworld.com

A Medieval Morgannwg Initiative.
All pictures below are (c) G.ap Gruffydd.

LLYWELYN BREN REVOLT 1316.
Gwlad Llywelyn Bren
Picture shows the site of Castell Goch, Ystrad Felte. This is where Llywelyn Bren surrendered on 18 March 1316, the site is on private land and access is denied but a search on web will bring up ariel photographs and map location if wishing to visit and at least get as close as I did to take this photograph.
Picture shows Ystrad Fellte Car Park, an ideal location for a memorial to Llywelyn Bren (see photo below). This small Hamlet has a Church, Post Office and a Pub but this is hardly ever open also unfortunatly the useful Youth Hostel has closed and been converted into cottages I believe. Car park is ideal assembly point for patriots to meet at to walk to Castell Goch as note there is little parking space for many vechiles near that site. If wished a rally may be held in car park with wreaths and flowers in memory of Llywelyn Bren being left at location in car park has seen in photo below.
Picture shows a Millenium Commemorative Stone if I remember correctly, yes rather pointless but now perhaps worthy as plinth for a memorial to Llywelyn Bren. This is situated in the car park, so ideally convienient and has I noted above ideal to place flowers by in tribute to Llywelyn Bren. The country side in these parts is excellent walking country with an abundance of waterfalls and caves, so well worth a day out at any time of the year and his popular with 'Hwntws' and outward bound and caving clubs from all over England. Last year whilst on one of three location searches, travelling on further into the Brecon Beacons I spotted a Puma crossing the road and panicking struggling to break through an hedge which gave me sufficient time to see it's entire body apart from it's head. This all happened so quickly but I was left with the impression that it was a young Puma and looked to be in condition and no it was not a domestic cat, too big for that and it was the distinct Puma tail which was really convincing. However, the Argentinian Rugby team was visting Wales at the time and all I told this story too, just thought I was ''Winding them up'' but honest the story is true. I know because I was there?????????????????? 
''It is better for one man to die......
.....................than for an whole population to be killed by the sword''.
It was with the above words so came to an end the great southern rebellion of 1316, it was the 18 March of that year at the Castle of Ystrad Felte that Llywelyn Bren, two of his sons and other leading followers were to surrender. Only a matter of seven weeks earlier on 28 Ionawr 1316 that the revolt had began. On that day the tax collectors of Caerffili castle had set up table outside the castle gate....but no sooner had they began their business when they were set upon by the local Welsh and killed. Thus began an uprsing of the long suffering native Cymry of Blaenau Morgannwg...today little remembered and certainly not memorialised by either plaque or statue of a most noble patriot chief Llywelyn ap Gruffydd ap Rhys, ( a great grandson of the famous Ifor Bach) who we have come to know better as Llywelyn Bren.... who was finally executed by means of being hung, drawn and quartered in Caerdydd sometime during the summer of 1318.
Picture shows myself laying flower in memory of Llywelyn Bren, the stone I am laying the flowers on is actually from the remains of old Greyfriars in Caerdydd (I remember as a young child my mother taking me to see these ruins then seen through a railings). The stone is set in a plaque which records the history of Greyfriars and fact that present building is built upon site of the old Greyfriars ruins, the original building was the Pearl Insurence building, today they are offices. If requested permission will be given to lay flowers as I have done. Llywelyn Bren was buried in the grounds of the old Greyfriars and his body my research shows remained there amidst other bodies, including those of plague victims. On the old Greyfriars remains being removed in readiness for building of the Pearl Insurence building, the material and other remains were removed to various locations much of which I have tracked down. However, at same time bodies were disinterred and removed to what seems to have become a ''secret location'', my research was led in a number of directions and always hit a blank wall of mystery worthy of the Da Vinci Code. After much ''Red Herring leads'' I think I know where these remains have been layed to rest but respect the wishes of those who may wish to keep such a secret for any number of good reasons. I am sure they who are the present day ''Guardians'' of the remains, perhaps also those of Llywelyn Bren will themselves one day perhaps reveal the location. At moment I see nothing to be really gained by revealing location myself and then perhaps causing a campaign for the remains of Llywelyn Bren to be taken home to Seghenydd. such cause needs to be one perhaps taken up by 'Pobl Senghenydd'' but first perhaps they could at least bother to memorialise Llywelyn Bren in other ways as I suggest in this posting?Note: Llywelyn Bren was imprisoned at Brecon on 22 March 1316 and also recorded has being imprisoned from 27 July 1316 to 17 June 1317 in the Tower of London with a number of his fellow rebels. I have their names and will record here at another time.
Potential Llywelyn Bren Memorial Projects:
* A suitable statue memorial in Caerffili.
* Sengheneydd and other associated areas commemorative plaques.
* A commemorative memorial at Ystrad Felte.
* A plaque to mark both site of execution and burial at Greyfriars in Caerdydd.
* Establishing of a Llwybr Llywelyn Bren with along trail memorial markers.
* The setting up of Llywelyn Bren Revolt 1316 history interpretations boards.
Further, to hold annually events that will commemorate Llywelyn Bren particularly on 28 Ionawr date revolt began at Caerffili, 18 Mawrth date revolt ended at Ystrad Fellte and if discovered on date of his execution. finally also to celebrate his life, times and society by means of various activities. Why not pobl Senghenydd/Caerffili establish a Cymdeithas Llywelyn Bren which could pioneer interest in Southern Resistance to Anglo - Norman conquest.
The Medieval Morgannwg Initiative will also be developing similar projects regards other "patriot lords" of the South - "Blaenau Morgannwg" as example those native.... "Uchelwyr" of Meisgyn, Glyn Rhonda, Ogwr Fach and Afan/Nedd. Further details in due course from G. ap Gruffydd at
Gethin.

<< Home