CILMERI 1282 COMMEMORATION 2011

Returning to the work of the Cymric Consciousness society 'Cofiwn' founded in the early 70's and demising in the mid 80's. This blog will inform on the beginnings of 'Cofiwn' and explain the inspiration for it being established and the aspirations that motivated it's advance and achievements. This 'Ysbryd Cilmeri' blog will in main be an introduction and at same time tell the story of the annual patriots gathering at Cilmeri 1966 - 2006 towards a future Adfywiad Gwladgarol Newydd.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Merthyr Tudful., CYMRU/WALES, United Kingdom

Adfywiadwr Gwladgarol and Welsh Remembrancer Semi Ret 31 Rhagfyr 2012. Retired Activist Medi 2013

31 October 2006

Cilmeri and Welsh Republicanism.

Cilmeri and Welsh Republicanism. Posted 7th December 2006.
Picture above: A Welsh Republican Flag (permission given to
reproduce but please credit scource). Pic (c) G.ap Gruffydd.

Antur Ysbryd Cofiwn. gethin.apgruffydd@ntlworld.com

This may seem an oddity including a page/posting on subject of ‘Republicanism’ in a Blog devoted to an annual event associated with the history of an old Cymric Aristocracy and the last prince of the ‘’High Kings’’ of Aberffraw, the premier princely family of Cymru. I guess in most other countries such sites would be locations for rallies of supporters of dethroned Royalist Families. However, here in Cymru our ''Royalist Sacred Acre'' has become venue for the rallying of Radical Welsh Nationalists and as often as not ''Welsh Republicans'' too, even those who perceive of them selves as ''Welsh Socialists''. I count myself politically under the latter label, if push came to shove but I have never described myself seriously as a ''Welsh Republican'' , if I have some time in the past I have not laboured the label. I have for the main part considered myself for most of my adult political life as a ''Radical Nationalist'' and in recent years come to describe myself and others as ‘Adfywiadwyr Gwlatgarol’. I use this label to describe militant and radical nationalists and even those I have long known who perceive of themselves as so called ''Welsh Republicans''. Why? Quite simply because that is what they are for the most part, just militant radical nationalists, quite simply Patriotic Resurgents but more likely to be in the Garibaldi mould than that of Mazzini.
Pic (c) G.ap Gruffydd. Shows Inn Sign of Tafarn Garibaldi, Abertawe. for further information on Garibaldi and his 1000 Red Shirts, go search the web. We are not likly to see a 1000 Red Shirts at Cilmeri but nevertheless a start must be made with the few, see photo below:
This year 2006 is also the 50th anniversary of the rise of what I would call a true Welsh Republicanism that led to the founding of the first Welsh Republican Movement by Cliff Bere and others, it was in 1946 that Cliff left the British Army with the ideas of Welsh Republicanism fermenting in his mind. However, this Welsh Republicans was for most part inspired by post 1916 Irish Republicanism rather than an ''Internationalist'' form of Republicanism usually associated with having it's roots in the French Revoloution. Unfortunatly these early Welsh Republicans had to ''invent'' an historical ''Welsh Republicanism'' and this was much the responsibility of the Romantic ''Medievalist'' and Republican Patriot Harri Web, who turned the history of 19th century Welsh popular revolts and social struggles into such with a quasai nationalist republican perspective. Later so called 'Welsh Republicans'' would continue in these beliefs, best advanced by Welsh Republican Ivor Wilks. Such '''Welsh Republican'' beliefs continued to be promoted by later ''Romantic Cultural Nationalist Republicans'' as Gareth ap Sion. This form of ''Welsh Republicanism'' continues to be held by radical nationalists of Y Cyfamodwyr verity of ''Ultra Nationalists'' and by the new ''boys on the block'' of Balchder Cymru who also label them selves as ''Welsh Republicans''. As I said the oddity is that more than likly all these self percieved ''Welsh Republicans'' and that includes those of the ''Socialist Strain'' too as Gareth Westacott, are to be seen commemorating a ''Welsh Medieval Monarchist History’’ at Machynlleth or Cilmeri. Forgive me but I forgot to mention that really ''off the shelf - pick and mix'' group of Republicans that masquarade under numerous names as example 'Cymru Rydd', 'Welsh Republican Party', 'Welsh Republican Comment' and now I believe as 'Welsh Republican Forum'. This ''Republican Rearguard'' was formed out of a ''Republican Rump'' of the demised Welsh Independance Party. Nine former members of WIP took time off from 2004 Machynlleth Glyndwr Coronation Commemoration to hold meeting in Aberystwyth to establish the aforementioned 'Cymru Rydd' promted into existance by Christopher Davies, Stephen Foster, Stephen Curry and others. I do not know if the ''mysterious'' Republican writter to Western Mail Sue Davies is amongst any of the aforementioned but she is worth noting as a champion of ''Welsh Republicanism'' and as far as I know has not been seen at any ''Cymric Aristocratic'' events as held at Machynlleth or Cilmeri though she may attend the annual march of the ''Tartan Taffs'' in Caerdydd on St David's day?
Pic (c) G.ap Gruffydd. shows the grave of Henry Davies and Wife (the Church and grave yard is opposite Abergwuan Town Library). We placed violet flowers for his wife and would have placed Green, Red and White or Blue, Red and White flowers for Henry Davies but none were avialable so we made do with the ''Cymric Royalist Colours'' of Red and Yellow. I hope that did not cause Henry to turn in his grave? (For further information just request).
Why on earth? these self styled ''Welsh Republicans'' with their own ''Invented Welsh Republican History'' do not shift their ''lazy asses'' to organise ''Welsh Republican Commemorations'' I do not know? For if they wish even to follow the ''Romantic Republican Road'' of Harri Webb, they can at a push commemorate Merthyr 1831, Llanidloes 1839 or Newport 1839 but they do not? Though I personally would suggest to any self styled ''Welsh Republican'' that they commemorate what vestiges there are of a ''Welsh Republcan History’' as example on 22 February (1797) in Abergwuan and when there please go visit the grave of Henry Davies to place flower tributes, following which may I suggest a trip to visit the ''Rock of Garreg Wasted'' be more profitable to your ''Republican Cause'' than the ''Rock of Cilmeri''.
Pic (c) G.ap Gruffydd. Shows the Memorial at Garreg Wasted put up to mark the failed ''invasion'' of the French on 22 February 1797. I placed this Welsh Republican Flag there in memory of failiure but also to attempt to focus thought and prompt discussion as to why this French ''Invasion'' failed? Keeping in mind that a year later a French expedition to Ireland was greeted by 1000's of 'United Irishmen', so why no 1000's of 'United Welshmen' to greet the French at Garreg Wasted in 1797. I suggest to any one who percieves or self styles themselves as a ''Welsh Republicans'' that a visit to this memorial to contemplate such a servile Welsh History may be more to the advantage of your ''Welsh Republican Cause and Struggle'' than gathering around the ''Rock of Cilmeri'' which just makes me think that ''Welsh Republicans'' are a little bit, ''off the wall'' in their politics? Others may call it POLITICALLY NAIVE! Me? Well I am a Welsh Remembrancer so I can please myself, especially has I have actually practised what I preach but am I a ''Welsh Republican?'' Well my thoughts on this are that really it is up to the people of Cymru to decide on that in a post Independance Wales, other than that the question then begs to be asked ''Which type of Republic?''. Unfortunatly ''Republican'' can be just as vague as ''Socialism'' in it's Political description and uses, by far it is simpler for ''Radical Alternative Nationalists'' just simply to describe themselves as Patriots or 'Adfywiadwyr Gwlatgarol' (see Italian resurgence of 1848 below). However, if push came to shove and I had to lay it on the line as to where I really politically stood, then it is toward Socialism rather than any form of even more vague ''Republicanism''. This I will deal with at another time, upon conclusion shortly of this Cilmeri Commemoration Tribute blog.
THE ROAD OR RATHER PATH TO GARREG WASTED. (All three photos (c) G.ap Gruffydd.
Go to Garreg Wasted via Goodwick, Abergwuan. Get as far as the Church and park Car close by as you have to walk rest of the way, keep eyes open for footpath markers. See in photograph the liitle bridge, I named that 'Bont Henry Davies', once you get to this little dingle you are about half way to the memorial. Up and down the dingle is the tough bit if your my age and overweight, if you smoke it may finnish you off?
I am not going to continue as to why all this ''Welsh Republican'' confused thinking has come about, I shall deal with that in my ANM&S HA soon, attempting further inform on these matters and why I think ''Welsh Republicanism'' is a failed political ideology. In the mean time note I have available material I have thus far written up on ''Welsh Republicanism'', this material is available on request or you can wait for it to be posted up on my new ALTERNATIVE NATIONALIST MOVEMENT AND STRUGGLE HISTORY ARCHIVE WEB SITE some time during 2007. I wrote this material ''Silly me'', believing that all those self styled ''Welsh Republicans'' may be interested in knowing that 2006 marked the 50th anniversary of Cliff Bere leaving the British Army to shortly thereafter found the first real Welsh Republican Movement. I have throughout 2006 suggested to a number of self styled ''Welsh Republicans'' that they may have wished to organise a commemorative conference with possibly speakers as Pedr Lewis and Ifor Wilks also Socialist Republican Tim Richards and ''Guardian Republican'' Leanne Woods as speakers. However, none were interested in organising such a conference but marching about in Kilts at St David's Day Parade or attending Cilmeri Commemoration is of course the ''Welsh Republican'' priority in these desperate times, is it not? I shall conclude below with a little history on the rise of Republicanism as a political ideology in Europe which I think will be far more rewarding to so called ‘’Welsh Republicans’’ than returing to Ireland 1916.

HANES ADFYWIADWD GWERINAETHOL = RISORGIMENTO - REPUBLICANISM RESURGENCE AND RADICAL REVOLUTION 1748 - 1848. 'RISORGIMENTO' HANES ADFYWIADWD - REPUBLICAN RESURGENCE - RADICAL REVOLUTION.
Pic 2006: (c) G.ap Gruffydd: Shows my Welsh Republican Flag of Garreg Wasted a few days later being waved in protest at the opening of the SHAM SENEDD by the English Queen on 1st March 2006. The question begs to be asked why were there not at least dozens of Welsh Republican Flags being waved in protest and why were there not more self styled ''Welsh Republicans'' present. I will tell you why possibly they who self style themselves as ''Welsh Republicans'' are to much ''closeted'' in their so called Welsh Republican Forums navel gazing their ''Welsh Republicanism'' instead of making Welsh Republican flags and getting out on the street in WELSH REPUBLICAN ACTION AGAINST THE ENGLISH MONARCHY WHEN EVER THEY VISIT CYMRU ( Read Cliff Bere's book 'Young Republicans' on their anti - Union Jack campaigns). Sad to say other once upon a time self styled ''Welsh Republicans'' where to busy on 1st March 2006 assisting with the annual ''Tartan Taff Tomfoolery'' but even worse helping to send ''MESSAGE OF TREACHERY GREETING THE OPENING OF THE SHAM SENEDD'' as organised by their new Cilmeri mate of 2004 treachery, yes! the one they call ''ROCKS''.




Pic (C) Gareth ap Sion, is favourite photo, recently published in Western Mail. THE MARCH OF THE ''KNIGHTS OF ST DAVID'' and their ''Tartan Taff'' followers. Hopefully in future years we shall I hope? see at least an extention to this bit of ''Pied Piper'' distraction up a blind allyway with a march from the Llywelyn III statue in City Hall down into Tiger Bay to protest at the SHAM SENEDD with an annual demand for our National Independance or is that too much to expect from those who cannot wait to get back to the BLACK PIG to continue their Pint Pot Peripheralism? HHHhhhmmm!!!
Pic (c) G.ap Gruffydd, Baner raised up at 1831 - 2006, 175th Anniversary INSURRECTION 1831 Commemorations at Hirwaun and Merthyr. Appropriate for below:
The French Revolution: By mid-June 1793, Paris was the only large city still run by working-class radicals, and in their eyes they were the people who would have to save France from destruction. Despite his protests, and by popular demand, Robespierre was elected onto the Committee of Public Safety. In August, the Convention - now controlled by the radicals - declared total war on its enemies. One million people were soon under arms, ready to impose unity: their slogan was "Liberty or Death". They immediately set upon Marseilles for negotiating with Britain, the Prussians and Austrians were occupying many French cities, and Lyon, which was denying the authority of Paris. Lyon was decimated, and over two thousand people were executed. By the opening of 1794, France was virtually wholly united behind the Committee. All enemies of France had been expelled, but the stage was now set for Robespierre's fall from power, his fellows on the Committee began to worry over his incorruptibility. The time of Napoleon's rise to power was drawing close...and the export of French Revolutionary ideals and beliefs throughout Europe, in turn prompting varying forms of patriotic response prompting initially anti - French regional re - action as in the Vendee, Brittany and Languedoc - the latter two ''Regions of France'' having nationalistic motivations. French ''Invasion'' or as the Revolutionaries would see it ''Liberation'' would prompt either welcome or hostility in Germany, Spain, Italy and Poland also of course in Ireland. However, whilst the ''Jacobins'' were anti - nationalist their radical ideas were to influence nationalism or rather republican National Movements and struggles as in Ireland and Italy.
Pic (c) G.ap Gruffydd, shows 'Bara Neu Waed' banner and Red Flag Installation raised up at Plas 3 Mehefin 1831 in Merthyr Tudful during commemoration of the 3 June 1831 Massacre at the Castle Inn in which at least 28 people were shot.


Such radical republican influences would predominate up to the ''Year of Revolutions of 1848''. Radical Republican ideas were to spread into Wales following the French Revolution and find sympathisers as Morgan John Rhys and Iolo Morgannwg, unfortunately they were to be ''British/English Republicans'' and only ''Welsh Cultural Romantics'' and eventual foundations for later ''Welsh Cultural Nationalism'' (leading to Cymru Fydd, Plaid Cymru and of course Language nationalist struggle in Cymru by such as CyIG and possibly Cymuned too. In this area also see ''Welsh Language Industry''. However, the majority of Welsh ''Movers and Shakers'' at this time were either the ''Welsh Anglo - Saxon Protests'' and ''Non - Conformist Dissidents'' often and for the most part being the two sides of the same coin, as example of the Rev Howell Harris et al. Although there were ''Non - Conformist Dissidents'' as the Rev Henry Davies of Llangloffen who had ''Radical Republican Sympathies'' and be one of the first in a long line of such ''Religious Radicals'' (See Niclas y Glais and D.J.Williams). However, ''Radical Republicanism'' in Wales would be muted and not mature into existence until 1946 and beginnings of the first 'Welsh Republican Movement'. There are a number of reasons why such ''Radical Republicanism'' did not take good root in Wales; During and throughout the 19th Century such ''Radical Republicanism'' was arising in largely Catholic Countries and despite being ''Secular'' in Wales such ''Republicanism'' was feared as an ''importer of Catholicism''. Thus the growing 'Welsh Non - Conformist Establishment' would by diverse means prevail against both ''Catholicism'', largely of Irish inward migration and a ''Republicanism'' that in Wales would take a route from 'Jacobinism'' towards 'Chartism' and on to 'Labourism''. Equally this ''Victorian Welsh Establishment'' would prevail against many progressive ideas as ''Darwinism'' and of course ''Trade Unionism''. To fully understand what is going on in Wales, there is no better period to get to grips with than the period 1748 to 1848 with particular attention being paid to the period 1831 to 1839. I have explored and written up on these periods elsewhere, so suffice I say look up this material, if not in possession of just request. READ ON:




HIST NOTE: The iconic Insignia of the Skull and Cross Bones was particulary associated with 19th century Neo - Liberal Republican Nationalist Secret Societies such as the Italian CABONARI (Char-coal burners) also see Giuseppe Mazzini and 'GIOVINE ITALIA' (Young Italy). This icon has a number of sources as in the Piracy of the 18th Century, possibly the democratic organisation of Pirate Ships resonating well with 19th centaury European neo - liberal Republican Nationalism as witnessed in the 'RISORGIMENTO ITALIA'. (also see Mazzini and Garibaldi).However, 19th Century European "Republican Nationalism" was more likely to have been influenced to adopt the 'SKULL and BONES' by many of their number having been members of 'MASONIC LODGES' and associated even more secretive 'ILLUMANATI'.

Associated with the above 'Skull and Cross Bones was usually the motto:

PATRIA o MUERTE - Homeland or Death!

Pic (c) G.ap Gruffydd shows that fella, the one who never quite made it to being the ''Welsh Che'', on cover of Y Cyfamodwyr Magazine. By the way that 'Message of Treachery' mentioned else where in this and other postings was delivered into this man's hands. Certain self styled ''Welsh Republicans'' have strange ''Bed fellows'' these days? and better seriously note: THOSE WHO LAY WITH DOGS CATCH FLEAS!!!!
*
It is possibly ironic that the Slogan best associated with Cuba after 'Venceremos' is 'Patria o Muerde' and not 'Communism or Death'. Of course the great success of the Cuba Revolution is in great part due to this amalgamation of Left paradigm with patriotism as expressed in Fidel’s himself having coined for his cause and struggle the slogan “Patria o Muerte”.
*
Thus I conclude this meandering around the alley ways and closets of ''Welsh Republicanism'' - A Failed Ideology? Well that's really up to those who seriously consider themselves to be truelly Welsh Republicans but I will tell you this much, you will not find your ''Welsh Republican Ideology'' around the ''Rock of Cilmeri'' and ain't that the truth?

*
Mae'r Frwydr yn Parhau!
*

YMLAEN I'R WERINIEATH but it will not be advanced following the Pied Pipers in their annual 'Tartan Taff Hannovarian Parading'', trust me on this one ok!
*
'Adfywiad Gwerinaethol' ?????????
.

Pic (c) G.ap Gruffydd. Shows Mazzini's exile cottage in Clerkenwell, London (above the Italian Barbers shop). My wee exiles flatlet on first arriving in London was opposite and overlooking Mazzini's cottage, I used to often see him at night pacing up and down muttering about triators to the cause as that ''Romantic Royalist Republican'' Garibaldi. HHHhhhmmm!!! What sort of ''Republican'' are you , one of Garibaldi's Red Shirts or one of Mazzini's Radical Revolutionaries, think about it whilst your standing before the Cymric Royalist Rock of Cilmeri.

Radically Yours.

Gethin.

PS: I have rushed edit of this posting to get it published today, may review later but am in a bit of a rush to get some where at moment. I know you will understand when I say editing is so boring.

Pic (c) G.ap Gruffydd. shows more ''Red Shirts'' but I do not think these are ''Garibaldies'' although they to turn up at Cilmeri quite often. However, they are more likly to be seen singing most Saturdays close to the Dic Penderyn Plaque on Cardiff Market Hall. They are of course COR COCHION/RED CHOIR led by ''Red Ray'' Davies of Caerfili, I dare say if you wish to book them for an event their contact address will be found on the web. Maybe they will do some singing at Plas 3 Mehefin 1831, Merthyr Tudful on 3 - 6 - 2007.